7 top styling tips to add value to your home
If you’re selling your home, did you know that you could add thousands to the value simply by following some professional styling tips?
At Belvoir Bedford, we know exactly what it takes to create the perfect impression on buyers, so that they not only fall in love with your home but are prepared to pay a premium for it.
Here are just 7 of our top styling tips that will only take a little investment of your time and money to achieve potentially fantastic returns:
- Furnish and style each room so that it has a clear purpose. A home might be the biggest investment some people will ever make, and you’ve got to show every bit of the space in the best possible light so they can see and appreciate its value. For instance, if you currently use a small room for storage, pack that stuff away and restyle it as either a single bedroom or a study.
- When it comes to personal possessions, like photographs, books and ornaments, less is more. Leave just a few of each on display, so that you still show some personality without surfaces looking cluttered.
- While your basic décor should be light and neutral, you also need to give buyers the ‘wow’ factor, which you can easily do with soft furnishings and accessories. Add colour and texture with cushions and throws, and don’t be afraid to include a bit of luxury, with velvet or fur. Just don’t have too many and try to keep them within one colour scheme for a sophisticated look.
- Use mirrors to make rooms feel larger and brighter. They reflect light and give the impression of depth – particularly beneficial in narrow rooms and hallways. And you can give the illusion of extra height in a room by hanging mirrors and pictures in a portrait orientation, rather than landscape.
- Emphasise the size of rooms by putting something at the furthest point from the doorway that immediately draws the buyer’s eye to it – e.g. a bright plant or a striking piece of art.
- Have lamps and candles throughout your home for a warm and welcoming atmosphere. Lighting scented candles here and there – particularly in the master bedroom and main living room – can help make buyers feel relaxed and emotionally connected to the space.
- Bring life to each room by having plants and fresh flowers throughout your home. Green and white looks great anywhere – things like peace lilies and orchids are easy to care for. Don’t forget to include the kitchen, where you should also put out a bowl of fresh fruit, some potted herbs and, for viewings, some fresh baking. It’s the heart of the home, so make sure it’s beating!
The whole styling strategy is to make sure your home sells a desirable lifestyle that buyers can connect and identify with. The more you can do to make them feel at home and show that you have cared for and enjoyed the space, the more likely they’ll be to make a really good offer.
If you’d like to chat about how you might be able to add real value to your own home through some professional styling, we’d love to hear from you! Call us directly on 01234 290685 or email firstname.lastname@example.org and we’ll get right back to you.